Re: Judging - one person, three votes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Judging - one person, three votes
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:04:33 -0600 (MDT)

>Well, if it's the most striking they're looking for, then it stands to
reason
>that
>their votes may dovetail with the judges'.

I'm wondering why I want to wade back into this discussion.... but then I had
an inspiration!

Think of the relationship of runway model to the prettiest girl in school
of "high fashion" to great clothes
of "haute cuisine" to good food
of  Best in Show at a dog/cat show, to your beautiful pet

One is a standard that is rather artificial... and one is real life

SO... an iris show is an artificial environment in which real flowers are
chosen for perfection.  This does not have... SHOULD not have... anything to
do with what one likes!  That's for the People's Choice Award.

Because a show is an artificial environment, it can be off-putting.... the
People's Choice Award is a way to engage people and have some fun.  BUT...
this is not to say that an iris show is anything more than a great iris
commercial...  nothing more.

So - if the public choses the same iris as the People's Choice winner as the
judges chose for Best of Show... it would be a rare coincidence, because
we're looking at the irises from a different point of view.

Kathyguest.... who thinks she is PUR-FEK-LY clear