RE: Queen of Show

Griff wrote:

Barb -- It's quite interesting to learn of yet another Society that has
a "People's Choice". I hesitate to ask, though, why you "don't do Queen
of Show" anymore. I am braced for the reply.

Well, this may be incorrect, but the current president said AIS (in the show
paperwork?) is discouraging the use of Queen of Show.  Probably politically
incorrect, and I expect Best Specimen Of Show is undoubtedly more accurate.
But it doesn't leave much room for the wonderful memories from years past,
such as a couple of years ago, when the beautifully engraved Nambe trophy came
back from the Nambe Company proudly emblazoned with "Queen For a Day".  Pat
Feather won it that year, and she was delighted with the goof and has not had
it changed.  Then there was the year that one of our members who is gay won
the award and happily announced (several times) that he was Queen of Show.

I guess, though, that it really doesn't matter what it's called.  I'd be happy
to win either Queen of Show or Best Specimen of Show, but so far my irises
have been bridesmaids, and never the bride.

Barb in Santa Fe