Re: Queen of Show

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Queen of Show
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:20:36 -0600 (MDT)

Barbara Mann wrote:

> Griff wrote:
>
> Barb -- It's quite interesting to learn of yet another Society that has
> a "People's Choice". I hesitate to ask, though, why you "don't do Queen
> of Show" anymore. I am braced for the reply.
>
> Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA
> jgcrump@erols.com
>
> Well, this may be incorrect, but the current president said AIS (in the show
> paperwork?) is discouraging the use of Queen of Show.  Probably politically
> incorrect, and I expect Best Specimen Of Show is undoubtedly more accurate.
> But it doesn't leave much room for the wonderful memories from years past,
> such as a couple of years ago, when the beautifully engraved Nambe trophy came
> back from the Nambe Company proudly emblazoned with "Queen For a Day".  Pat
> Feather won it that year, and she was delighted with the goof and has not had
> it changed.  Then there was the year that one of our members who is gay won
> the award and happily announced (several times) that he was Queen of Show.
>
> I guess, though, that it really doesn't matter what it's called.  I'd be happy
> to win either Queen of Show or Best Specimen of Show, but so far my irises
> have been bridesmaids, and never the bride.
>
> Barb in Santa Fe

Barb -- Thanks for the reply. I am reprinting the whole reply (John) for
the sake of the context.

Now, let's see, what other changes could we make? How about:

"Elizabeth, Best Specimen of England" (but check with Tony Blair first)

"Delta Best Specimen" ( Helluva name for a steamboat!)

"Welfare Best Specimen" (maybe a possibility there)

"Homecoming Best Specimen" (sigh!)

"Best Specimen of the May" (awk!)

"Best Specimen's Court" ( try puting THAT on the awards table)

"The African Best Specimen", starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine
Hepburn (no Oscar there)

And, yes, "Best Specimen for a Day"!

Ah, yes, it is indeed wonderful what PC-ness hath wrought. Pardon me
while I upchuck.

jgcrump@erols.com""