Re: CULT:Reticulata/Danfordiae

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Reticulata/Danfordiae
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 09:03:32 -0600 (MDT)

Steve Rocha writes:
> 	I was at Home Depot yesterday buying some peat moss and I ended up
> one pack of each color they had of Dutch Iris. Somehow I ended up with a
> pack of Iris Reticulata and Danfordiae in my basket too :-)  Funny how
> happens when you're shopping by yourself. The instructions say to plant
> Dutch Iris 6" deep and the Reticulata and the Danfordiae 4" deep. Is this
> the proper depth to plant these? What else would these little jewels like
> to perform well in my garden?

Hi Steve!

I grow all of these, and they should do just great for you planted at the
recommended depth in well drained soil with a sunny exposure. They
tolerate, rather than require, the cold winter temperatures here.
Danfordiae and Reticulata are absolutely the first things to bloom here
each year (in early March, if the snow melts that soon).
> PPS. How do you pronounce Danfordiae.

First snow on the garden yesterday; overnight low temperature of 24F -
Farewell, rebloom!