Re: CULT:Reticulata/Danfordiae - Companions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Reticulata/Danfordiae - Companions
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 09:14:45 -0600 (MDT)

Sheryl Williams writes:

> Here's some companion recommendations from Lauren Springer's Undaunted
> garden:
> Reticulata: Muscari armenicum, Centaurea stricta, Euphorbia myrsinites,
> Penstemon caepitosus 'claude barr', Achillea serbica, Veronica
> liwanensis

Hi Sheryl!

I grow the Penstemon and Veronica mentioned above in the rock garden along
with Ii. danfordiae and reticulata. They are ground hugging, spreading
creepers with tiny leaves that grow less than one inch high, so they cover
the ground well when bulb foliage dies back. However, the irises bloom so
early that nothing else is in bloom at the same time as they are here,
except the early bunch-flowering crocuses.

Muscari armeniacum is such an aggressive grower and multiplier here that I
would never recommend growing it in conjunction with the smaller bulbs and
rock garden plants. I confine it to my perennial  and shrub borders and
plant the much more restrained Muscari botryoides album (the white-flowered
grape hyacinth) in my rock garden.

Weather reports indicate that the snowstorm we had yesterday turned nastier
on your side of the Rockies.

cwalters@digitalpla.net