HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 17:06:41 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings:

Rima has asked me for some recommendations for  historic bearded cultivars to
keep her FLAVESCENS company. I started getting a little list together and it
occurred to me that she is in Zone 4 and that might make a real difference.
 As I recall, we have learned that HONORABILE and SAMBUCINA are often found
throughout New England, but I wondered what the list might have to recommend
as well for Rima's very cold garden? Can she, for instance, grow pallida and
germanica? What about QUAKER LADY, ALCAZAR, MME CHEREAU, HER MAJESTY, CRIMSON
KING, PLUMERI, MA MIE? Since these are in the Cornell Bulletin 112, I would
guess they are good candidates, but there is nothing like first hand
recommendations, and I am asking those of you in a position to know, to share
your experiences with very hardy bearded cultivars, from, say, before 1940.

Rima and Anner would be grateful a lot.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA henryanner@aol.com
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS