Re: HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Rima has asked me for some recommendations for  historic bearded
> cultivars to keep her FLAVESCENS company. I started getting a little
> list together and it occurred to me that she is in Zone 4 and that
> might make a real difference.
>  As I recall, we have learned that HONORABILE and SAMBUCINA are often
> found throughout New England, but I wondered what the list might have
> to recommend as well for Rima's very cold garden? Can she, for
> instance, grow pallida and germanica?

[snip]

Wow, a question from Anner that I can respond to! Here in a different
set of mountains altogether from Rima's Catskills but definitely Zone 4,
I have had long years of dependable blooming from both I. variegata & I.
pallida. As far as I know both are "originals": the I. pallida has pale
lilac flowers (I've had a small clump of I. p. 'Variegata' with
pale-yellow-striped leaves for a couple of years, but it has yet to
bloom. That's okay since it's the leaves I wanted it for) & the I.
variegata has the yellow standards & veined red/brown falls seen in many
photos. The I. variegata increases a bit more vigorously in my garden
but the two species behave otherwise much the same & both sulk for a
year after being divided & replanted.

Unless the Mystery Iris I found & dug up last August in Bear Creek
Canyon turns out to be I. flavescens I don't have it yet, nor have I had
I. germanica or any other oldies, cultivar-named or not, long enough to
be able to comment usefully. I planted some this summer so maybe by next
Oct. I'll have more info for Rima on the hardiness factor.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado    Where the snowstorm
that started yesterday is now 3'+ deep (as of 4 pm) & continuing...