Re: HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 21:39:32 -0600 (MDT)

	Anner wrote :

> As I recall, we have learned that HONORABILE and SAMBUCINA are often found
>throughout New England, but I wondered what the list might have to recommend
>as well for Rima's very cold garden? Can she, for instance, grow pallida and
>germanica? What about QUAKER LADY, ALCAZAR, MME CHEREAU, HER MAJESTY, CRIMSON
>KING, PLUMERI, MA MIE?

	New England has several USDA Zones (3, 4, 5 & 6) with the bulk of
	the population in Zones 5 & 6....Zones 3 & 4 cover a much bigger
	geographical area. Certainly, I. pallida has been growing in my
	Zone 3 garden for several years and HONORABILE does fine as well.
	I just got QUAKER LADY, MME. CHEREAU, CRIMSON KING, CLARA NOYES
	and LA BOHEMIENNE this summer from Superstition Gardens and have
	no doubt that these will also do OK. I will tell you more next
	June.

	We have heard more than once that cold is not an enemy of most
	bearded irises....the infernal thaw, freeze, thaw cycle that is so
	prevalent in Zones 4 - 7 seems to be a far greater threat to their
	survival. The historics, according to folks on this list, seem to
	do the best of all in various climate conditions.

	Cheers,

	Ellen (a confirmed and happy Zone 3er)

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /    Zone 3
Siberian iris robin    /  sibrob@ncia.net