Re: CULT:Reticulata/Danfordiae

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Reticulata/Danfordiae
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 08:48:03 -0700 (MST)

Marte Halleck writes:

> Back OT, I have I. reticulata dibbled in all over the place & it seems
> happy as can be. I don't grow I. danfordiae as I've heard it poops out
> after a year or two, not only doesn't increase well but just goes away.
> This may not be true if conditions are right but since I'm at the
> extreme point of it's hardiness area I decided to pass on that one --

I. danfordiae seems to be doing just fine here. It does have a reputation
for splitting up into tiny bulblets and ceasing to bloom, but deeper
planting is supposed to overcome that problem. I didn't read that until
after I had planted my bulbs, but the danfordiae didn't read the book,
either, and they have been blooming happily regardless. Since they are so
inexpensive to buy, I would urge you to give them a try - the bright yellow
blooms provide a perfect contrast to the blue and purple shades of the
reticulatas, and there is an interesting difference in form between the two
species as well.

24F again this morning, but Friday's snow (more like 2" than 2' here) has
all melted, so I can rake leaves again! ((-: