Re: HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HIST- Seeking Zone 4-hardy recommendations
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 12:27:38 -0700 (MST)

Well, I somehow managed to hit a combination of keys that sent this thing
before I finished it, for which I apologize to the list.

Now, Juri, in Moscow told us:

<< Undoubtedly, pallida, germanica and MME CHEREAU can grow in Zone 4, and
 Zone 2 under snow too. WABASH and BRASIER are most popular historic that are
naturalised here. >>

Juri, thank you for this information, which is very interesting. Now, the
earlier and species stuff I understand, but how on earth did you manage to
get WABASH (Williamson, USA, 1936) and BRASIER (Cayeux, France, 1934)
naturalized over there? In the last HIPS DataBank, which tracks cultivars,
only one person reported growing BRASIER, which makes it "rare" by HIPS
standards. How and when did these 'thirties irises get over there? We didn't
think there was a lot of movement in and out of the area during the period.
Got any speculations?

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA--wondering about that slyboots Armand Hammer
Henry Hall henryanner @aol.com