name of Japanese variety

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: name of Japanese variety
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:06:22 -0700 (MST)

I lost a label (could only find part of it).  Does anyone know the full
name of a fairly recent US Japanese Iris introduction, white with
rosy-violet margins, the name of which includes either "Ruffled" or

Fall bloom--one stalk on Immortality and one on Harvest of Memories, both
planted this August.  Stems are short and weak, I hope not typical.

Fall fragrance--in the house our Brugmansia tree has 20 big trumpets on it
and perfumes the whole place each evening.  It's losing leaves fast,
though, and will soon have to be cut back and moved to the greenhouse.
Outside by the mailbox, Silverthorn (Eleagnus sp.) is covered with tiny
flowers that have a powerful honey-like scent, detectable for many yards
around the plant.  The plant itself has scrambled some 15 feet up into a
pine...gotta do something about that....

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943