SHOW: A.N.Z. Championships

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SHOW: A.N.Z. Championships
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:12:36 -0700 (MST)

Fiona Walsh writes:

> Coming up this week is the Hobart Horticultural societies Iris and Rose
> show, and I am going to enter again this year.  I have been entering for
> about the last 2 years and have a few firsts, but i just like to enter
> for fun really.  I am going to enter into the A.N.Z championships, where
> i need to exhibit 12 blooms of distinct varieties.  I was wondering if
> anyone had any good ideas for containers or vases to put them in???? I
> will also be entering a few species ones so I hope i do well. It is all
> so very exciting!!!!

Hi Fiona!

I must admit that I am completely unfamiliar with this type of exhibit. You
mention 12 blooms, but I am assuiming that you are speaking of irises, so
do you mean 12 stalks? How are the entries in the A.N.Z. Championships
judged? Is it solely on horticultural merit, or is there an artistic
element, as in the choice and placement of the varieties entered? I would
be very grateful if you could provide answers to these questions.

Around here irises and roses are not exhibited at the same show as the
bloom season for roses is somewhat later than the main iris bloom season.