Re: SHOW: A.N.Z. Championships

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SHOW: A.N.Z. Championships
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:28:37 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, I am me wrote:

> Well jeff,
>
> The A.N.Z championships is the one of the main sections in the show.  It
> is called A.N.Z because it is sponsored by the A.N.Z bank here in
> Tasmania.
> 12 single blooms need to be entered, not the whole stalks just the
> single blooms, and they all need to be different tall bearded cultivars.
> They are only judged on the quality of the blooms, as in size and
> coloring etc......and also things like wheather they are all open at the
> same stage, and none are still in bud, (which happened to me last
> year!!!!on the judging day there was one bloom that hadnt opened
> properly)

	This sounds like what some people in US shows call an English Box.
I have seen wooden ones and styrofoam ones for six or eight blooms only
but not twelve.  The bloom is placed in a florist's waterpix.  Although I
have never entered one because of my extreme clumsiness and lack of an
'eye' for color coordination, color harmony and freshness play important
roles in determining the winner.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8