CULT: "beneficial nematodes" on cable TV

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: "beneficial nematodes" on cable TV
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:31:02 -0700 (MST)

Hi all, and especially hi to Bill Shear, resident insect expert.

Last night (Monday, Oct. 27) the cable channel HGTV's new "Grow It!" show
stated that beneficial nematodes are available for controlling iris borer.
I thought we'd discussed this and decided they weren't available.
On the show, an expert held up an iris fan with "caterpillar" damage and
then the camera zoomed in on what sho-nuff looked like a borer munching
away inside the fan, only the little bugger seemed to be heading in the
wrong direction. Maybe the camera guy installed it upside down. Anyway, the
expert then demonstrated how to spray foliage with water in which were
dissolved "beneficial nematodes." She wasn't any more specific than that,
but she promised a very specific result: The borers would explode, she
said.

We don't have to deal with borers here in Arkansas, but I know many, many
other listers do. Did anyone else see this show? Does anyone know which
nematode the expert spritzed onto her iris? Do we need to ask "Grow It!"
for a clarification?

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock ... where we just missed our first frost last night, and the
forecasters say we'll be warm for at least another week.