Re: SHOW - English Boxes

	Fiona wrote:

>> The A.N.Z championships is the one of the main sections in the show.  It
>> is called A.N.Z because it is sponsored by the A.N.Z bank here in
>> Tasmania.

	Walter replied:

>	This sounds like what some people in US shows call an English Box.
>I have seen wooden ones and styrofoam ones for six or eight blooms only
>but not twelve.  The bloom is placed in a florist's waterpix.  Although I
>have never entered one because of my extreme clumsiness and lack of an
>'eye' for color coordination, color harmony and freshness play important
>roles in determining the winner.

	I am glad to see the English Box referred to by Walter....I was
	looking over the Judge's Handbook the other day and was thinking
	of making one this winter. They sound so interesting and I have
	never seen one in a show probably because I have attended so few
	iris shows. I am 'Zone Challenged' and find myself unable to parti-
	cipate in any shows in New England since they are principally
	geared for Zone 5. Another reason to have a Northern Vermont - New
	Hampshire AIS affiliate. :-))

	The ground is frozen here but I am still going to try to rake off
	the willow leaves on the new bearded bed....the weeds are so frozen
	that they are impossible to get out...another October in the
	mountains. The cold, crisp days are great for everything except

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /    Zone 3
Siberian iris robin    /  sibrob@ncia.net