[Fwd: Re: Queen of Show]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Re: Queen of Show]
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:12:27 -0700 (MST)

--------------33AE58283866

It appears that a cybergremlin ate this transmission, so I'm forwarding
it out of my "sent" file from yesterday. Here goes ----

--------------33AE58283866

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:20:18 -0800
From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
To: iris-l@rt66.com
Subject: Re: Queen of Show

Walter A. Moores wrote:

>         I liked Phyllis Semanas' post of the Queen and the Princess,
> but it seems like the 'men' are getting a raw deal.  Can't we have a King,
> Prince, or Duke to bring out the royalty of this court??

Or an Emperor, Czar, Shah or Khan, eh, Walter?

Actually, I really don't care (much) what we call the winners of our
contests, but I am sort of intrigued by the feminization of the iris.
How long has this been going on? A look at the 1939 Checklist reveals
iris named ATTILA, TAMERLANE, GENGHIS KHAN and FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT,
among beaucoups other male appellations. (ULYSSES S. GRANT made it, too,
but Robert E. Lee didn't -- sorry, Walter.) Whence, then, "Queen of the
Show?" There is ample precedent for naming one's seedling Teddy Kennedy,
Rush Limbaugh, Arnold Schwarzenegger or J. Edgar Hoover, although I hope
no one will -- still, we have PINK STARLET, BEVERLEY SILLS, PRETTY IN
PINK and FLASHY FLIRT, among a host of other very feminine monickers.
Does this have something to do with the fact that our flower is named
after Iris, the Greeks' GODDESS of the rainbow?

The term for iris in Hungarian is "noszirom" (There's a long umlaut on
the first "o" that defies transliteration). It means, literally, "the
woman flower".

Are there clues in other languages?

jgcrump@erols.com