Re: Gendering Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Gendering Iris
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:51:13 -0700 (MST)

Jeff Walters notes:
>Many of the older iris sported deeper, more subdued colors such as shades
>of violet, purple, maroon, and various blends, to which masculine names may
>have seemed suited. Then in the 1940's along came the tangerine-bearded
>pinks and their various pastel congeners, and shortly after lacy frills
>were added as well. It probably just seems discordant to most people to
>christen a lacy pink iris "Attila The Hun" or "Arnold Schwarzenegger".

This is why when our local club makes its annual tour, a small cluster of
giggling tourists invariably collects around the delicately veined,
almost-white LA Richard Morgan named BOB WARD. While Bob's eternal essence
may be so ethereal, his physical person and personality would suggest a red
or a black iris, a big one with lots of pizzazz.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock