Re: CULT: "beneficial nematodes"

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: "beneficial nematodes"
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:17:47 -0700 (MST)

I got the following two responses yesterday from HGTV:

> We do not have any information available to us on that segment.

and about 20 minutes later...

> I wanted to let you know that we are checking with the producers of
> Grow It.  If they are able to give us contact information - I will e-mail it to
> you.

So I guess somebody cares.
-----------

Linda M asked about the results of my archive diving and reminded me
that someone had reported in early '96 having used nematodes. Geeeze,
mind like a steel trap.... I am going to stop haunting the archives and
just start asking Linda questions....

Any way, the results of a search on "nematode" yielded 47 email
missives. Out of the oldest 15 or so I found the following interesting
comments. The first is dated 21 May 96 by Dan Isbell - who is now
subscribed as D.I-BEARDLESS@JUNO.COM, I think, instead of
izzy@sound.net. Actually Linda *should* have remembered this one because
it was a response to one of her postings.... (heh, heh)

Dan writes:

> Linda
>    I know what eats Iris Borer, it's a very small parasitic Nematode called
> Neoapledtanids, what a mouth full. Any way it is sold under the name Scanmask
> and I used it a few years ago with great results, it did not kill the borers in
> the rhizome that year but come fall when thay leave and go into the soil GOT EM.
> for the next 2 years I had no borer sign at all and for the last 2 years only
> slight damage in 4 or 5 clumps in new beds that were made after I applied the
> Nematode's in areas where thay were never applied in the first place.
>    I plan to get and use these again as thay worked so well for me in the past
> (went from 10 per sq ft to 4 or 5 per acre). Thay were priced a little high but
> I feel it was money well spent. Check out local organic lawn care services for
> this product as it is sold for controle of grub worms in lawns.
>    Let me know how it works for you as I would like some feed back from other
> folks who have tryed this stuff to see if it works as well as I think it did or
> if I was just lucky and all the borers in my yard died of some other unknowen
> someting?
>                              Dan Isbell   izzy@sound.net

Hopefully Dan will post a followup on this years effects (if any)

And then one from Kay Cangemi on 22 May 96

> During my search for a biological control for rose crown gall, I found a
> company that sells all sorts of strange little buggies, including this one.
> As Dan said, this stuff is pretty expensive. For one thing a lot of it has
> to be shipped overnight.
>

> Scanmask:
>  Particularly suited to cold northern soils, Scanmask is a large strain of
> Steinernema carpocapsae, similar in appearance to S. feltiae, that remains
> active down to 50 F. First collected near the arctic circle in Sweden, the
> name of this cold-hardy product is a combination of "scan" for Scandinavia,
> and "mask" which is Swedish for nematode.
> Target Pests: fungus gnats, grubs, black vine weevils, wood borers
> (from IPM Laboratories catalog - phone # (315) 497-2063)
>
> When I asked them about the crown gall bacteria, they sent me  some very
> interesting 'additional information'. Maybe they have articles on how
> effective this stuff is also.
>
> "The world is so full of a number of things . . ."
>

> Kay Cangemi
> Mid-Hudson Valley NY, USDA zone 5
> Cangemi@mhv.net

BTW, some of you may remember a post I made about 6 weeks ago about some
little maggot like things I found on a rz. Well the county Ag guy
finally got back to me. He had had to send them out to a "lab" to be
identified. Turns out the were Sap Beetle larvae. Some unspecified
member of about 50 different types. They typically feed on decaying
fruit. I couldn't figure out how they got in the iris pot until I
remembered the compost pile that I used for the potting mix for the pot
this iris sits under my peach tree - get the connection? Anyway they
were not attacking a healthy iris rz but one that had a bad spot in it.

I was impressed that Ag went the extra mile for me with out any
nagging...

_________

On this day in:

1270, the eighth and last crusade is launched.

1503, Queen Isabella of Spain bans violence against indians.

1937, 60 years ago, the closest approach to the earth by an asteroid,
Hermes, was measured to be 485,000 miles, which, to an astronomer, is a
mere hair's width (asteroid now lost)..
_________

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.