Re: CULT: weed control

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: weed control
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:26:36 -0700 (MST)

Gavin Sills wrote:

> . . .
> I have searched the web for herbicides that will kill grass among bearded
> iris.  North Carolina State University suggests that Sethoxydim (Poast) is
> acceptable for iris.  The University of Illinois writes that "there are no
> chemicals currently listed for control of grassy weeds in bearded iris".
>
> I am looking for some "grass roots" input from the list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gavin Sills
> Pullman, WA

Gavin -- I have tried without success to obtain Poast, and have been
told that it is no longer produced. However, BASAGRAN can be applied
over iris and does kill grass, including, particularly, yellow sedge. I
have done it this year, and it succeeded where VANTAGE did not. You must
be very careful, however, to use the right mixture according to the
directions. Otherwise, you can damage your plants.

jgcrump@erols.com