Re: software for iris record keeping

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: software for iris record keeping
  • From: "Albert F. Limberg" <campconn@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:56:46 -0700 (MST)

> > On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 02:16:17 -0600 (MDT) Tmilchh@aol.com writes:
> > >Does anyone have a suggestion of a good program for recording iris
> > >collections?
> > >      My kids have asked me what I would like for a present. And what
> > >I would
> > >like is an easy to use software program for recording bloomtime,
> > >height of
> > >stalk, number of bloom stalks, number of buds per bloomstalk, number
> > >of buds
> > >open at one time, length of bloom, etc. for each cultivar.  Is there
> > >such a
> > >program out there for irises?
> > >                                                 Annette Milch
> > >                                                  TMilchh@aol.com
> > >                                                    Lexington,
> > >Kentucky
> > >                                                     zone 5
> > >
> > >where it
> > >hasn't rained since the middle of September.

I jumped into this one at about the third generation of exchange.
Here's my two cent's worth for whatever value it contains.  Those who
have Novelle's (now, Corel) Word Perfect 6.0a or higher have some handy
little tools hidden in it.  They are called "data files" and are used to
merge data into useable formats such as envelopes for mailing, tables
for mailing lists and miriade other applications.  Go to your users'
manual and look for the section on Merge, Data Files and Merge, Form
Files.  Look at pp. 368, et seq. in the Users' Manual for WordPerfect
6.1 and pp. 554 et seq. in the Users' Manual for WordPerfect 6.0.  Once
you do it it becomes easy.  I use this feature for  several
applications.  If you merge numerical data into a table you can even
create mini spreadsheets using the formula functions applicable to
tables.  Very useful and at a fraction of the cost of Paradox and
Access.  I also use Paradox and love it for its versatility.  Its power
lies in its RELATIONAL DATA BASE functions that you cannot get from the
simple WordPerfect Data File feature.

Al Limberg
Concord, CA