Re: CULT: herbicides, use of Poast & Princep

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: herbicides, use of Poast & Princep
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:56:35 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Robert E. Stassen wrote:

> Poast was/and still used in large bed of iris in Nebraska, and like
> Basagran, has very little soil activity.  Both products were used on
> soybeans for post-emergent weed control.
>
> Walter Moores noted that Princep (simazine) would be effective as a residual
> product.  I would be very cautious when applying this product, as it was
> also used in combination with other "bare-ground" herbicides for industrial
> weed control (power substations, railroad ballast).  It is effective because
> it does not "leach" easily into the soil, and large seeded crops (sorghum)
> can germinate and keep their roots below the herbicide and avoid absorbtion.

	It was the Basagran that 'killed the soil' in Texas, and I
followed the directions on the label.

	I have not used Princep in combination with other 'bare-ground'
herbicides, and have, therefore, had no problems with using it.

	There is a discussion of Princep in an AIS Bulletin several years
ago.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8