Re: CULT: weed control

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: weed control
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:07:49 -0700 (MST)

>I have searched the web for herbicides that will kill grass among bearded
>iris.  North Carolina State University suggests that Sethoxydim (Poast) is
>acceptable for iris.  The University of Illinois writes that "there are no
>chemicals currently listed for control of grassy weeds in bearded iris".
Gavin, hi. My friend Linda uses Poast over her TBs with no apparent ill
effects. I haven't used it, preferring as I do to yank weeds rather than
zap them whenever possible. You can get long-lasting control using
solarization, which can be conveniently done at division time.
Are you staring at a very large overgrown bed? In such cases, the plants
are often in need of transplantation and thinning. If the area's too large
and overgrown to hand-weed, I would Poast the grass while it's actively
growing, with the thought that you will dig out all your irises, thin them
and solarize next summer.

Little Rock