JI x SIB: suggestions?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: JI x SIB: suggestions?
  • From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:43:57 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,

I'm posting this to the group since I'm running short of ideas on where =
to go from here. I'm looking for ideas on how to introduce the plants to =
people who are interested in pursuing  the possibilities this cross =

For those who I haven't spoken to directly, a summary on this cross:

In 1992 I used two very similar, very stressed JIs as pod parents and =
not knowing what they were at the time, crossed them with a couple of =
"tough as nails" SIBs. The pod parents are, from all identifications and =
what detective work I've been able to do, a reversion in form from a =
garden hybrid to a single type of JI. One JI died the following season. =
The other has survived.

(To those who feel the urge to suggest that this is a full self: The =
falls of the JIs were broken off immediately after pollinating. I was =
the first one at the blooms...no bees were involved. The seed was saved =
only from the JIs.)

Of 29 seedlings that were grown out the following spring, 6 show JI =
markings, 14 show SIB markings, 9 have not yet bloomed. All but 2 show =
some ridges in the leaves. Height of the leaves varies from 44" to 17" =
and width from 3/4" to 3/8" wide. At least two (both types) show promise =
as good garden plants. Three of the plants (two of these are JI type) =
have shown wonderful drought tollerance.

Three of the JI types were successfully crossed to and with registered =
SIBs this year. SIB types could not be crossed to registered JIs because =
the reg. JIs in my garden are yet large enough to bloom. All blooms that =
were not used in controlled crosses were allowed to "open pollintate". =
Almost all plants set seed. I have no reason to believe any of these =
seeds are not viable, since one JI type to bloom last year has produced =
seedlings herself.=20

I'm not currently a member of AIS......it's simply not in this year's =
budget. And travel is limited to no farther than "to and from" in the =
same day because of obligations to farm and family.

Please post all responses to the group since there are more than a few =
people who have been following this and would be interested in your =
replies. I promise post answers, to the group, to any questions that may =
come up.

Your help is appreciated,
Christy Hensler
The Rock Garden