Re: First day to spray Princep80?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: First day to spray Princep80?
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:00:06 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Virginia Lassiter wrote:

> Walter,
>   When do you begin Princep80 treatment?
>   Does rain affect timing the spray?  Soil type?
>   Does it adversely affect other perennials/bulbs?
> Thanks,
> Virginia Lassiter  zone 7/8 middle Georgia heavy red clay
>
> "Treflan has given way to Princep 80 in our area.  Spray ...every
> three or four months... pre-emergent ... does not affect existing
> weeds.  Jimmy Burch's ...article ...for the AIS Bulletin.... I do
> recommend it.   Walter Moores    Enid Lake, MS 7/8 "

	After I have built and filled a new bed of irises and have let
them settle in for about two weeks, I spray with Princep 80.  Then, every
three or four months thereafter, I do it again.  If you see a weed, pull
it up and do not hoe.  Later on, if you see a 'crop' of weeds about to
spring up, hoe them and spray again.  I have not seen any adverse effects
on other perennials or bulbs.  Don't expect flower or vegetable seeds to
sprout where you have used the product.  It is best to spray between rains
when the ground is dry and not to hoe between applications.  My timetable
has usually been October, late Feb-early March, and July.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8