Re: Florida Suggestions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Florida Suggestions
  • From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:42:07 -0700 (MST)

Of all the irises I grow, the one that I suspect might do well in
Florida is I. japonica. It likes moist conditions and partial shade.
When it is happy it is a fast grower.

My basis for this recommendation is that it is the only iris I grow that
is not hardy here in Zone 6-7. I grow it as a container specimen and
bring it in before the night temperatures drop below 25 F. According to
Mathew, it's a "try and see" plant. Wyman rates it's hardiness as Zone
8. AHS just says that it is "frost hardy".

Good luck.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva
Where the 200th trick-or-treater just left.