CULT; Something eating rhizomes

  • Subject: CULT; Something eating rhizomes
  • From: cgdawn@cs.com
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:02:10 -0000

Hi Everybody,

Would someone please help me decide what is eating my newly planted
rhizomes. Something just chews an open spot on the top of the rhizome
or immediately just under it and then deep into the rhizome.  Could
this be borers or maybe voles as I have a real mole problem.  I don't
know what borer damage looks like.  I know it is the season for them.

Another thing please, when is the proper time for transplanting
seedlings.  Do you wait for a complete set of leaves or is it better
to move them as soon as they come up or shortly after.  I seem to
lose quite a few in transplanting.  I moved some (because I needed
the space)that germinated this past spring, they were maybe 2 - 3 - 4
inches high.  I moved them in early August and lost about 1/3 of
them.  Same thing happened last year.  I'm doing something wrong. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Dean Gray,
Zone 5, just So. of St. Louis, Mo. at the confluence of the Mighty
Mississippi and Meramec rivers.

Monitoring Service trial