Re: CULT:Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT:Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:39:56 -0500

> Another thing please, when is the proper time for transplanting
> seedlings.  Do you wait for a complete set of leaves or is it better to
> move them as soon as they come up or shortly after.  I seem to lose quite
> a few in transplanting.  I moved some (because I needed the space)that
> germinated this past spring, they were maybe 2 - 3 - 4 inches high.  I
> moved them in early August and lost about 1/3 of them.  Same thing
> happened last year.  I'm doing something wrong. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Dean Gray,
> Zone 5, just So. of St. Louis, Mo. at the confluence of the Mighty
> Mississippi and Meramec rivers.

   For Mississippi conditions:

   Bearded seedlings - about three to four inches in height,
transplant mid-May before the heat sets in.  Generally only one leaf
has formed.  Some may have two.

   Aril-bred seedlings - leave in pots in partial shade until Sept.
or Oct. to line out.  Many of these will die (go dormant and die) if
transplanted in late spring or early summer. Too young for the hot
sun.  Even quarterbreds may die.

   Beardless seedlings - leave in pots until Sept. or Oct. to line
out.

   Both bearded and beardless will grow through the winter (depending
on how cold it gets) and will bloom in the following spring in this
climate.

   With all of the rainfall we've had this summer, my bearded
seedlings have taken off and are showing increase and are clumping.
I will have a lot of bloom on them in April, two years from seed.

   It is wise to get the bearded seedlings out of the pots and
transplanted in late spring (two to three weeks after bearded bloom)
and 'pushed' through the summer so they are mature enough to bloom.
If it doesn't rain, water them, and give them some diluted Miracle
Grow.

  Japanese bloom two years from seed, but Louisianas and siberians
take three years for me.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Monitoring Service trial