Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 13:28:21 -0400

Walter in Mississippi wrote:
<Both bearded and beardless will grow through the winter (depending
on how cold it gets) and will bloom in the following spring in this
climate.

   With all of the rainfall we've had this summer, my bearded
seedlings have taken off and are showing increase and are clumping.
I will have a lot of bloom on them in April, two years from seed.>

Walter, are you saying that you routinely get bloom two years from
bloom/seed on TBs?  Gee whiz, I am definitely doing something wrong.  My
seedlings that I've been pushing like mad this summer & are huge
compared to what I normally have this time of year are mostly nowhere
near blooming size.  Some of them have nice fans & actually have nice
little fat baby rhizomes, but surely they aren't big enough to bloom in
spring.

From earlier discussions about when flower primordia are formed, this
means your spring germinated seedlings are mature enough to form flower
cells by June!  Sheesh!  Good job!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8 gray and soggy, but welcome rain.

Monitoring Service trial