Re: CULT:Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT:Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 12:33:39 -0500

In hot and dry Texas zone 7b:

>   Bearded seedlings - about three to four inches in height,
>transplant mid-May before the heat sets in.  Generally only one leaf
>has formed.  Some may have two.
>
>   Aril-bred seedlings - leave in pots in partial shade until Sept.
>or Oct. to line out.  Many of these will die (go dormant and die) if
>transplanted in late spring or early summer. Too young for the hot
>sun.  Even quarterbreds may die.

I treat all my seedlings, both bearded and arilbred the same.  They are
transplanted in the same seedling bed at the same time.  It gets morning sun
'til around 10:30 a.m. and then is in the shade of an oak tree the remainder
of the day.  I water the seedling bed faithfully, usually a thorough
overhead watering every other day.  The mortality rate has been very low in
this situation for both types of seedlings.  The summer conditions here tend
to be very dry and very hot, so the watering might result in overwatering in
a wetter and more humid climate.  I don't feed them, but during the winter I
work lots of compost and composted manure into the seedling bed prior to
planting in the spring.  Probably 70-75% of this years seedlings have one or
multiple increases with more showing up nearly every day.

I have never tried growing seeds from any other iris class.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Monitoring Service trial