Re: Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: Randy Squires <randysiris@juno.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:51:05 -0700

<wmoores@watervalley.net> writes:
>    I'm almost sure it is two years from seed on the West Coast,
> right?  Definitely CA?

It's definitely 2 years here in southern CA for me, but you've got
to be right on schedule. I've always started my seeds in November
after Bernard Hamner said he started around Thanksgiving, but now
I know someone that starts in October to get a jump on growth.
Then last week Steve Rocha said he started in spring with green
seeds and already has germination.
I've found out that getting then out of pots in into the ground early
is very important. I'd always done it during my regular dividing
season, July, Aug., Sept .and was blown away while visiting Suttons
to see them lining out seedlings in April, came home and got mine into
and must have had 70% bloom, unbelievable growth just by getting them
lined out before summer, like Donald said you have to water faithfully.
And yes I've heard the rebloomers 1 1/2 years.

Monitoring Service trial