Re: Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:13:23 -0500

>Some of them have nice fans & actually have nice
>little fat baby rhizomes, but surely they aren't big enough to bloom in

Bet they are.  More than 90% of mine did last spring and I was really
surprised.  Prior to then the bee pod seedlings I'd grown hadn't received
the care or growing conditions those received last year.  In fact, the bee
pod I grew last year didn't.  So it didn't receive the water nor was it
growing in the hotter growing medium.  They survived and grew pretty well,
but they did not reach the growth of those in the seedling bed nor did any
put on increase 'til this spring when the others were already sending up
bloomstalks.  Needless to say, there was no bloom on the bee pod seeds.  You
may actually get to see them wiped out by a late freeze.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA - I can't believe I said that last bit to Linda, but I do
believe her track record is worse than mine in the 'killed or damaged by
late freeze' area and I sweated out the seedling bloom.  They were anxious
and many were early.  I just escaped this year.

Monitoring Service trial