Re: Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:09:25 -0500
On 2 Sep 01, at 11:51, Randy Squires wrote:

I've always started my seeds in November
> after Bernard Hamner said he started around Thanksgiving, but now
> I know someone that starts in October to get a jump on growth.
> Then last week Steve Rocha said he started in spring with green
> seeds and already has germination.

   I have planted green seeds and have never had germination.  I think the seeds
rotted in the pots in my humid climate.

   Planting seeds too early can be a problem in some areas, namely where it freezes.

.  Once I planted seeds in September and had a few to germinate and were immediately killed by
the first freeze.  If I plant in November or December, I do not have to worry about
early germination.  Such seeds don't germinate until late February or
early March (when it has warmed up here) and continue germinating
right on through the bloom season.  Occasionally, when there is a
threat of a late freeze, I have to cover up the pots with old

Have you noticed early germination means early bloom?  By that I mean
that the germination season is comparable to the bloom season: E, M,
and L.   Medians and aril-breds sprout first, followed by the TBs and
then the beardless.  The progression of the sprouting season is
indicative of the eventual bloom season - at least in my garden.
Now, if you intercede, for example, in the case of Louisianas by
removing the cork surrounding the seed and planting 'green' seeds,
you may change the order of things.  I did that once and had to keep
the seedlings indoors all winter.  I don't have a greenhouse so
having seedling pots in the windows was a minor inconvenience.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!