Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 21:54:13 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "wmoores" <wmoores@w...> and others wrote: [on-
going thread about seed handling...]

I'm finding this thread particularly useful.  Handling seeds and
seedlings here has been quite a different experience from what it was
in Idaho.  There the iris grew more like middle CA--and did have re-
bloomers at 1 1/2 years a few times; normally I had lots of increase
by mid summer on new germinants.

Here near Asheville, NC, in the humid, warm, but erratic rain deep
South I'm not getting the rapid growth I was used to, and noted the
very first increase on new seedlings this past week.  This year I had
about 50% bloom on new (two year old) seedlings--seeds from 1999
crosses.  I was used to more than that.  Being tight for space
makes unbloomed seedling carryover a problem .

The 2000 seeds that germinated have been rather slow to get going--
six weeks of drought from end of May to early July has not helped.
Fortunately the first frost does not come until quite late in October
or early November and the iris will still be green and growing at
Christmas.  They have time yet to fill out.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Monitoring Service trial