Re: Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: HYB: Transplanting Seedlings
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:53:35 +1000

>    With all of the rainfall we've had this summer, my bearded
>seedlings have taken off and are showing increase and are clumping.
>I will have a lot of bloom on them in April, two years from seed.>

My 1999 crosses have had a rough deal. The seed was planted in Autumn 2000
(May) and germinated well, in small pots in a good quality potting mixture.
Because we were hoping for a quick sale of our property, I planted them on
in October, into white fruit boxed, and stuffed them in about 2" apart.
These boxes were placed behind the shed, where they received filtered sun,
and no water for the whole of summer. The white plastic kept the roots cool.
The seedlings thrived with this neglect and are crowding each other out now.
I have buds on some of my SDB's (various Being Busy crosses). I certainly
didn't expect any bloom this year!
Some seedlings were left in the pots (some crummy crosses I shouldn't have
bothered with) They stayed around 4" tall for the whole year, and have been
planted out for 2 months now, and are starting to grow.
This years seed germination is 0%. I think the problem is, as mentioned by
someone, the cyclic defrost freezer, which I had used for the first time
this year, for stratification. Fortunately I only planted a few crosses and
have kept most of the seed for next year. I lost some of my best IB crosses
though :-{
Cheers, Jan, Australia, zone 9 soon to be zone 8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!