Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?

  • Subject: Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?
  • From: AmGinley@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 16:11:38 -0000

I am having a problem with Bacterial Soft Rot.We have had over 11
inches of rain in about a week- no wonder they rotted, everything is
soaking wet.I received some new Iris in June, and planted them in
pots. They are planted in one gallon pots with 1/2 potting soil, 1/2
sand. They are planted very shallow, I just think the constant rain
isn't helping much.

 I noticed one had soft rot at the point the leaves meet the rhizome.
I cut off the rot, and put some Comet on the cut. I let it dry for a
day, then replanted shallowly in another pot. It already has some
babies, so am hoping these survive.
My question is about preventing rot in the other pots. I have about
30 pots that I will be transplanting in mid Sept, when my other order
arrives. I want to make sure I don't add any problems to the new beds.
I also noticed one of the Iris in one of the other beds has some rot,
so am going to do the bleach bath.
I read about the Anti-bacterial soap, and wondered how often you use
it? Also if it would hurt daylilies, since these are in the front of
my beds.

 We are still getting rain daily, and it looks like another week of
rain. We had no rain in June/July... then wham... all at once.
Thanks for any help.
Amy
Dallas

FREE COLLEGE MONEY