Re: Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:59:02 -0500
On 4 Sep 01, at 16:11, AmGinley@cs.com wrote:

> I am having a problem with Bacterial Soft Rot.We have had over 11
> inches of rain in about a week- no wonder they rotted, everything is
> soaking wet.I received some new Iris in June, and planted them in pots.
> They are planted in one gallon pots with 1/2 potting soil, 1/2 sand. They
> are planted very shallow, I just think the constant rain isn't helping
> much.
> Amy, I have about seventy-five potted.  When I heard all of this rain was coming,
last Wednesday, I moved all of my potted iris to the porch  where the
rain cannot fall on them.

    Something I have started doing with the potted irises  is to mist
them occasionally with a 1/2 water 1/2 bleach mixture.  Put the
mixture in a pump spray bottle that has a trigger on it and mist each
one where the fan joins the rhizome.  This usually prevents rot from
happening.  If rot is already present, you need to scrape it out and
treat it with bleach or Comet cleanser.  If there is some sunshine,
stick the exposed rhizome out in it after it has been scraped clean
of the mush.

   I think the Dial handsoap might be a preventive only.  I have not
found it to be a cure even at 100% strength.  There have been
testimonials to the contrary, and I don't know what I am doing that
makes Dial soap ineffective for me, but it just doesn't cure my kind
of rot.

   Good luck!

   Walter Moores
    Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8