Re: Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:48:30 -0400

On 9/4/01 2:59 PM, "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net> wrote:

>  I think the Dial handsoap might be a preventive only.  I have not
> found it to be a cure even at 100% strength.  There have been
> testimonials to the contrary, and I don't know what I am doing that
> makes Dial soap ineffective for me, but it just doesn't cure my kind
> of rot.

Ditto here.  We have had very little rot this year, but the antibacterial
soap fails as a cure.  Scraping and Comet (or hydrated lime) works well.
Experience over the past few years also suggests that regularly scattering
lime on the soil surface also helps to reduce the occurrence of rhizome rot.

Bill S.

Monitoring Service trial