Re: CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:03:05 -0400

On 9/4/01 5:07 PM, "vince lewonski" <vincelewonski@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- wmoores <wmoores@watervalley.net> wrote:
>>    I think the Dial handsoap might be a preventive only.
>> I have not
>> found it to be a cure even at 100% strength.  There have
>> been
>> testimonials to the contrary, and I don't know what I am
>> doing that
>> makes Dial soap ineffective for me, but it just doesn't
>> cure my kind
>> of rot.
>>    Walter Moores
>>     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8
>  I know two big growers in PA that have used the
> antibacterial dish soap, with nothing else, and swear that
> it cleared up all the rot they had. Luckily, I have not had
> bad rot the last couple years, so I can't vouch for this. I
> have started using the antibacterial soap in lieu of
> regular soap as a "sticker" when spraying for borer and
> spot. Can't hurt...

Yes, it can.  The widespread use of any antibacterial agent selects for
resistant forms.  There is already concern in medical circles about the
inclusion of antibacterials in soaps.  When we are not sparing in our use of
a tool for the control of pests, we speed up the process of making that tool
ineffective.  This can happen locally as well as globally.  That's why I
don't favor "preventative" spraying of any pesticide.  These valuable agents
(if indeed they work) should be saved for times of real need.

Meanwhile I'll stick with my grapefruit spoon and can of Comet.

Comet, by the way, is a physical bacteriacidal agent that acts through its
hypochloride content in a way that bacteria cannot resist (it physically
destroys them).

Bill S.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!