CULT: Special care

  • Subject: CULT: Special care
  • From: "Glenn Grigg" <gggrigg@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:07:47 -0400

The following is a copy of a posting that appeared on the Daylily Robin today.
I think it should be "food for thought" to all of us who grow iris. The daylily world
 may be following us down the yellow brick road:

"My personal view is that if we need to spray daylilies, even with a
 beneficial agent, it will need to be done on a regular basis. The common
 gardener won't or can't do that. That is also why iris and roses have lost
 so much favor. Ironically, I started growing iris and roses, as I thought
 they were very pretty. After only a little while I found them to be
 temperamental, hard to grow well, and very prone to various problems like
 black spot in roses, and rot in iris. I wanted, and needed, something that
 did not require that kind of maintenance, as I didn't have the time, or
 discipline, to maintain them as was required for them to be disease free.
 If we collectively start down the path of requiring various sprays,
 treatments, or special maintenance, to control various problems like rot
 and rust, it won't take long for new daylilies to not have a place in
 commerce, as the average gardener, and some serious collectors, like
 myself, will not be willing to maintain them. Even worse, if the path is
 taken to treat and spray as the long term direction, increased
 susceptibility will be the result. My thought is the best direction may be
 to determine which cultavars are very susceptible, and simply discard
 those. Then, with the slightly affected or unaffected, carry on. If we
 create, grow, and distribute a plant as temperamental and hard to grow as
 the modern hybrid tea rose, daylily popularity will take a major drop.

 You are welcome to forward this, as I think it is something daylily growers,
 and especially hybridizers should give serious thought.

 Thanks,
 Raymond Quinn"

Only the hybridizers can improve the toughness of iris so they can grow like the plants
that grandmother grew without special treatment.

Glenn Grigg, Raleigh, NC Zone 7

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!