Re: CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:47:34 -0400

On 9/5/01 11:50 AM, "John Reeds" <jreeds@microsensors.com> wrote:

>> From:     Bill Shear[SMTP:wshear@hsc.edu]
> How come I seem to be the only one who found bleach-type treatments for rot
> to be (A) relatively ineffective, and (B) extremely bad in tending to
> suppress root growth resulting in an often fatal loss of general vigor.  I
> have had nothing but success using powdered concrete or mortar mix on the
> "wound" (after, of course, scraping out all the afffected area).  Similar
> principle, it creates a hostile environment (pH) for invading bacteria.
> Hasn't anyone else had the same trouble with bleach, or even tried my idea?

I've had success with hydrated lime AND sulfur, both of which do the pH
thing, but in opposite directions.  One wants to dry out the wound and
create an unfavorable environment for bacteria.  I suspect that the Comet
treatment is not really the same as bleach because the concentration of
hypochlorite from the Comet is relatively low.  I do think you might have
problems pouring undiluted bleach on plants......but maybe that's not what
you tried.  I use Comet now because it is easily availble, you can carry the
can around with you, and it works.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!