Re: CULT: Special care

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Special care
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:23:51 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Grigg" <gggrigg@bellsouth.net>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 11:07 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] CULT: Special care

> The following is a copy of a posting that appeared on the Daylily Robin
today.
> I think it should be "food for thought" to all of us who grow iris. The
daylily world
>  may be following us down the yellow brick road:
>
> "My personal view is that if we need to spray daylilies, even with a
>  beneficial agent, it will need to be done on a regular basis. The common
>  gardener won't or can't do that. That is also why iris and roses have
lost
>  so much favor. Ironically, I started growing iris and roses, as I thought
>  they were very pretty. After only a little while I found them to be
>  temperamental, hard to grow well, and very prone to various problems like
>  black spot in roses, and rot in iris. I wanted, and needed, something
that
>  did not require that kind of maintenance, as I didn't have the time, or
>  discipline, to maintain them as was required for them to be disease free.

I quit growing roses for about the same reasons

>  If we collectively start down the path of requiring various sprays,
>  treatments, or special maintenance, to control various problems like rot
>  and rust, it won't take long for new daylilies to not have a place in
>  commerce, as the average gardener, and some serious collectors, like
>  myself, will not be willing to maintain them. Even worse, if the path is
>  taken to treat and spray as the long term direction, increased
>  susceptibility will be the result. My thought is the best direction may
be
>  to determine which cultavars are very susceptible, and simply discard
>  those. Then, with the slightly affected or unaffected, carry on. If we
>  create, grow, and distribute a plant as temperamental and hard to grow as
>  the modern hybrid tea rose, daylily popularity will take a major
drop.

Makes my day!! Pug ugly things any way:-) every one has the right to their
opinion.

>  You are welcome to forward this, as I think it is something daylily
growers,
>  and especially hybridizers should give serious thought.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Raymond Quinn"
>
> Only the hybridizers can improve the toughness of iris so they can grow
like the plants
> that grandmother grew without special treatment.

Most iris hybridizers are in the busness of growing and selling Iris.
He can only grow what grows good in his area. I am shure some send there
iris to other areas to test them. I do not expect him to move to my area
just to grow iris for me.
I don't want to grow grandmother 's iris. That is my choice.

95 % of the iris I grow or have grown do not take any special care.
They do take some care as any plant does if it is expected to do its best.

A lot of post on this list are asking how to fix a problem they are having
with the 5% problem iris or a temporay problem with a good grower.

> Glenn Grigg, Raleigh, NC Zone 7

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
SW OH Zone 5b, USA