Re: Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Cult: Bacterial Soft Rot?
  • From: Carol Canfield <Carolcc5@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

Amy:  Your problem stems from the fact of so much
water, suddenly, and heat.  I've found that irises
rarely get rot when in pots 'cause of the good
drainage.  Do not put any form of nitrogen on them
until the rot is controlled and the weather moderates
somewhat.  I would use a 9 to 1 concentration of water
and liquid bleach and drench them all.  On any active
rot take the rhizome up and scrape all the nasty out,
dip in the bleach solution and let dry before
replanting in a fresh pot.
I think that this will work for you.  The sand in your
pots has to be a good thing.

Carol, in Spicewood, TX
--- AmGinley@cs.com wrote:
> I am having a problem with Bacterial Soft Rot.We
> have had over 11
> inches of rain in about a week- no wonder they
> rotted, everything is
> soaking wet.I received some new Iris in June, and
> planted them in
> pots. They are planted in one gallon pots with 1/2
> potting soil, 1/2
> sand. They are planted very shallow, I just think
> the constant rain
> isn't helping much.
>  I noticed one had soft rot at the point the leaves
> meet the rhizome.
> I cut off the rot, and put some Comet on the cut. I
> let it dry for a
> day, then replanted shallowly in another pot. It
> already has some
> babies, so am hoping these survive.
> My question is about preventing rot in the other
> pots. I have about
> 30 pots that I will be transplanting in mid Sept,
> when my other order
> arrives. I want to make sure I don't add any
> problems to the new beds.
> I also noticed one of the Iris in one of the other
> beds has some rot,
> so am going to do the bleach bath.
> I read about the Anti-bacterial soap, and wondered
> how often you use
> it? Also if it would hurt daylilies, since these are
> in the front of
> my beds.
>  We are still getting rain daily, and it looks like
> another week of
> rain. We had no rain in June/July... then wham...
> all at once.
> Thanks for any help.
> Amy
> Dallas