Re: CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot
  • From: alhbee@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:09:55 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., vince lewonski <vincelewonski@y...> wrote:
> --- wmoores <wmoores@w...> wrote:

I use comet, 1 to 6 bleach spray and bacterial soap. All of them work
in stopping bacterial rot. As far as efficiency I find little
difference.  Not too long ago I posted a picture of Lorilee with a
label system I use. Shortly after I discovered rot in both rhizomes.
I dripped straight bacterial soap and then watered the larger
rhizome. The smaller was too far gone. Sprayed the area with bleach
spray. It is healthy and growing, but I have had trouble with
Lorilee, second rot case since purchasing rhizomes.

Wimpy or not, it amazes me that iris have such persistence to root
and grow. I separate, wash and disinfect iris under the shade of the
old oak tree, sans yellow ribbon. Every year I find small irises,
left over from washing, growing under the dense shade. Like most, I
gripe about certain iris but in 98% of the cases I am happy with the
irises and their growth and habit. To Mike and all hybridisers
keep up the good work.

Al Bullock
Z 7 No. Va.

CLICK HERE to search