Re: RE: TB - Yaquina

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE: TB - Yaquina
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:21:51 -0600

> From: David Silverberg <sil1812@molalla.net>
> Hear Ye- Hear Ye - All ye iris-talkers:
pronunciation of the Dykes Medal Winner for the year 2001 the following is
to be accepted as final and definitive according to the local library
encyclopedia:
> Phonetically - Yc-kw'5-na
>                     OR
> Yeh - QUEE5- na.
> I have also hear the locals pronounce it as Yah - kwin5 - uh when
referring to the Bay and River. The name is NOT that of an indian tribe.
Further research is forthcoming to determine the source of the name.

Au contraire, Dave, the authoritative "Oregon Geographical Names" says that
Yaquina was the name of a Native American tribe resident in the area of the
current town of Newport on the Oregon coast, which leant its name to the
Yaquina River, Yaquina Bay, and Yaquina Head. When I was in Newport I heard
the locals pronounce the word as you did, without the "5", unless that is
intended as an accent or stress mark, in which case it is in the right
place. OGN offers no meaning or translation of the word.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!