Re: CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Bacterial Soft Rot
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 21:37:44 -0700

John Reeds wrote:

> How come I seem to be the only one who found bleach-type treatments
> for rot
> to be (A) relatively ineffective, and (B) extremely bad in tending to
> suppress root growth resulting in an often fatal loss of general
> vigor.  I
> have had nothing but success using powdered concrete or mortar mix on
> the
> "wound" (after, of course, scraping out all the afffected area).
> Similar
> principle, it creates a hostile environment (pH) for invading
> bacteria.
>
> Hasn't anyone else had the same trouble with bleach, or even tried my
> idea?

John

I have not had any of the indications you mention. I have at times
poured undiluted clorox on a plant with rot with no ill effects. I also
tend to treat the wounds with agricultural gypsum (16% sulphur)

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: