Re: TB: Too much growth

  • Subject: Re: TB: Too much growth
  • From: "Ellen Gallagher" <ellengalla@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 19:02:08 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., Sandra Barss <barsssa@m...> wrote:

Sandra,

I grow about 160 bearded irises and lost only one over winter in my
frigid Zone 3a - and that was a SDB. It was Raindance...no loss, IMHO.
A big loss (to me) was a BB, TOUCH OF FROST..it died after about three
weeks after planting this summer. No clue as to why..came from
Massachusetts...from CA they do well here.

Cold is not an enemy of bearded irises...that is my mantra and I am
sticking to it becuz I believe/know it to be true.

It takes about 3 years for a 'normal' TB to increase to the point of
dividing here but here are some of my most prolific bloomers:

TBs that outperformed themselves:

VIOLET SHIMMER (among the stars of this season - by Walter Moores :)
CONFEDERATE ROYALTY (very good increase - also by Walter)
ASCII ART - (ok, also by Walter..)
BALTIC STAR (remember this :) - by Stahly)
SEEKING - stupendous and lovely by Loleta Powell - tall unusual blue
PROVENCAL - classic (old) by Cayeux and still a knockout in the garden
STEPPING OUT - everyone should grow this - still a WOW
QUAKER LADY - historic diploid and one of the most prolific here
AFTER EIGHT - another by Stahly - black and my husband's fav. TB
GOLDEN PANTHER - TASCO - oh, wow...just great

I vowed to limit myself to 10 TBs - my two best performing IBs were:

WARM PUPPY - by Walter (again) - this refused to stop blooming
MISS MAUVE - Tasco - my favorite new color and bloomed well on a
one-year plant (I have had WARM PUPPY for 3 yrs. and it also bloomed
well its first year).

I will try and send you a list of more bearded (BBs,SDBs,MDBs) but the
list is too long for this forum. Suffice to say that the SDBs LIME
SMOOTHY, ROSIE LULU, PUMPKIN CENTER should be divided at least every
two years.

Sandra, try some Siberians - you have the cold climate to enliven
them. They can be spectacular in a climate like yours.

Ellen Gallagher
Zone 3a, Northern White Mts
New Hampshire, USA

> This is exactly the type of iris I am looking for.  Does anyone else
> have an iris or irises that really increase well for them in their
> garden.

> Sandra
> SE Manitoba

FREE COLLEGE MONEY