Re: TB - Yaquina

  • Subject: Re: TB - Yaquina
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:27:00 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., storylade@a... wrote:

"Someone, PLEASE-------explain what the "5" means.  I know Yaquina is
a '10'."

Betty, if you will permit a guess---unless the "5" is an artifact of
font and program differences---is that it is a symbol being used for
a phoneme not in our set for English.  Various non-IndoEuropean
languages use clicks and stops and almost gargle sounds in words.
Some even have clicks of tongue and teeth.  In this case, where Dave
Silverberg reproduced what he found in his source, the Native
American "quih" syllable may have had some odd stop or consonant at
its end, perhaps a "glottal stop" of some sort--I was only half
kidding when I said "between a gargle and a choke."  To those
probably Hudson Bay fur trappers who reduced the name to letters we
use it still would have sounded nearest to Yah-KWIN-uh of anything we
could pronounce.  Now, watch my face turn red when Dave comes back
and says it wasn't a five at all.....

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!