Fw: Yaquina Blue

  • Subject: Fw: Yaquina Blue
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:42:26 -0500

I am taking the liberty--I did not ask permission to do this--of forwarding to the list this message which I got a couple days ago from the voice of authority on the question we've been discussing for some time.  I think this should settle all the issues that have been raised, and I'm grateful to Tom Abrego for giving us the information from the horse's mouth, as it were.  Very interesting.
Arnold Koekkoek
Northwest Iowa, zone 4

To set the record straight, Yaquina (Yah-KWIN-ah) Blue was named for Yaquina
Bay on the central Oregon coast.  The city of Newport, one of our major
fishing ports, is on this large bay.  (Keiko the killer whale lived there for
a few years).  The bay is fed by the Yaquina River, which was named for the
locals, the Yaquinas (or maybe they were named for the river).  Anyway, it is
a difficult word to pronounce, but it is a very beautiful area.
Tom Abrego
Schreiner's Gardens

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!