CULT: Mariposa Skies

  • Subject: CULT: Mariposa Skies
  • From: "Kitty & Bruce Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 08:05:37 -0700

> MARIPOSA SKIES disappeared after a good first year.
   Bill... this is interesting.   I'm interested in knowing how it grows
around the country.  This iris, a rebloomer from Rick Tasco, is what I
consider an outstanding rebloomer in stalk and flower form.   We saw it in a
fall garden in the south San Francisco bay area, and our group during
judge's training noted it's superior plant form as a rebloomer.   When we be
honest, many rebloomers, although we love the fall bloom dearly, often have
radical stalk form.     Weird branching, high degree of curved stalks, top
bunching, although they bloom fine in the spring.   Not Mariposa Skies.
It's fall bloom stalks look as good as spring bloom, and if I could be
guaranteed that every rebloomer would look like Mariposa Skies, I'd be
replacing everything in my garden with rebloomers today.    Mariposa Skies
had excellent branching, good increase, good bud count, great stalk spacing
in the clump, and a very nice plicata color.   I know this is what
reblooming hybriders are trying to achieve... they are getting there.    So
sorry to hear of it's demise for you, but hoping others have good luck!   If
you can grow Mariposa Skies and it reblooms... you won't be disappointed.
Kitty Loberg
Northern Calif.

Monitoring Service trial