Re: CULT: Ultra Dawn and Moss

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Ultra Dawn and Moss
  • From: "Janet Stromborg" <twinhill@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:14:17 -0500

Hi Al and Iris Talk mates,

I too have moss growing in part of one of my iris beds, which is also amended red clay.  I had good bloom in that bed with many increases this year in spite of a very wet spring.  Fewer weeds came up in the moss covered areas, I assume because their seeds had a tough time germinating through the green mat that covered the soil around the rhizomes.  I realize that moss is most likely an indicator of soggy, poorly drained soil, but does the moss itself do any harm?

Janet in Denmark,  WI
zone 4